Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Holy Moly Bubbles of Joy!!!


Lush The comforter 1
It’s no secret that I love all things bath related. A few months ago, I did a review of Lush’s “The Comforter,” a big, bodacious bubble bar that rocked my world! Now that I am into “soapy crafts” and formulating my own bubble bath, shampoo and conditioner, I stumbled across a tutorial on the Soap Queen blog about making your own solid bubble bath. As I watched the video, I thought, “Hmmm…I’ll bet I can do that and that kind of reminds me of that cool bubble bar that I got from Lush!” So, being the committed DIYer that I am, I ordered the ingredients that I didn’t already have and then got to work!

The nice thing about Anne Marie’s tutorial is that she tested out the formulation beforehand (which is a lot of hard work) so I already knew it would work. Her video clearly shows how easy it is to make solid bubble bath (aka “bubble bars”), which you can customize by using your choice of colors and fragrances. I used a fuchsia color from Brambleberry (Anne Marie’s online store) to make a dark pink and white bar (the same idea as the picture above) as well as a Brambleberry fragrance oil that I already had on hand (“Hello Sweet Thang”). A note on this fragrance—it smells sooo good but it did “brown up” the white part of my bubble bar so next time, if I use this fragrance, I’ll use different colors!

Here’s a link for Anne Marie’s tutorial: http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/bath-fizzies/how-to-make-solid-bubble-bath-on-soap-queen-tv/

The process was really easy!!! Almost all of the ingredients are available by clicking the link in the tutorial but you may already have many of them at home (I did). And interestingly enough, the ingredients list is very similar to “The Comforter!”

Here’s what I did:
Lush Dupe 1

Mix the Dry Ingredients.

Lush Dupe 2
Once the liquid ingredients are mixed in well, the dough is divided and colored.

Lush Dupe 3
One color is formed into a rectangle on freezer paper or wax paper and then the second color is patted on top. At that point, the mixture is rolled up like a jelly roll (or sushi).

Lush Dupe 4
Then you end up with a “roll” that is cut into pieces. When I do this recipe again, I will make my roll shorter in length, which will make it “fatter.”
Lush Dupe 5
This recipe made ten bubble bars, which took about five days to dry, thanks to Virginia’s humidity.
Lush Dupe 6
I used one of these bubble bars for the first time over the weekend. WOW!!! The bubbles were huge and long lasting—amazing!!! I will definitely be making these again.

Do check on the Soap Queen blog and give this project a try. It’s a lot of fun and very rewarding, especially if you love a good bubble bath!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!!

(Sorry guys...the spammers have found me so you'll need to verify the word)